Your smile is worth regular attention and care. Work consistently with your family dentist in Westminster, MD, to keep your smile shining and functional for life. At Carroll County Dental Associates, your dental team provides in-office treatments and coaching for your at-home habits. Together, they're a winning combination.
Prevent problems before they start
That's the goal of at-home oral care. The American Dental Association (ADA) sets these guidelines:
- Brush twice a day to remove sticky plaque which builds up on enamel and between teeth.
- Floss daily with interdental picks, a water flosser or strand floss. The ADA says to look for products with the ADA seal of acceptance on the label.
- Limit processed sugars and carbohydrates which form plaque and the bacteria which live in it.
- Drink water, not sugar-laden soda or sports drinks.
When patients of all ages follow these practices, your Westminster family dentist sees far less tooth decay, periodontal disease and tooth loss. People with healthy mouths have better systemic health and self-confidence. In addition, you can prevent dental damage with an athletic mouth guard or acrylic bite guard if you grind or clench your teeth.
Your semi-annual check-ups and cleanings fight plaque and tartar. More specifically, your exam look for signs of decay and gum disease, charts your gum pocket depth, checks your dental bite and any crowns or fillings and assesses your soft oral tissues for oral cancer.
Yes, checking adults for oral cancer is a vitally important part of preventive care at Carroll County Dental Associates. The American Cancer Society says that more than 10,000 Americans die from oral cancer every year. However, careful examination by your family dentist every six months alerts you both to changes which require further exploration. Detected and treated early, oral malignancies have a high cure rate.
Finally, your comprehensive care plan at Carroll County Dental Associates may include these preventive strategies:
- Fluoride treatments, topically applied varnishes which strengthen enamel against tooth decay
- Plastic sealants, bonded onto the chewing surfaces of molars, providing an impervious barrier to bacterial acids and decay
- Bite-wing and panoramic X-rays to check for decay and tooth/jaw alignment issues
An ounce of prevention
According to Benjamin Franklin, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. At Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD, your five family dentists and their staff believe in this tried and true philosophy and their healthy patients show it.