Cavities don't have to be an unavoidable part of childhood. In fact, with good oral hygiene and sealants provided by the family dentists here at Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD, you can help your child avoid tooth decay and remain in perfect oral health.
Sealants offer a simple way to prevent cavities
Tooth decay is a common problem among children. In fact, 20 percent of kids ages 5 - 11 and 13 percent of adolescents have at least one untreated cavity, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Some cases of tooth decay are due to poor brushing and flossing habits, but oral hygiene isn't always to blame—the premolars and molars at the back of the teeth contain tiny pits and grooves that trap plaque, the substance that causes tooth decay. Although brushing removes plaque from other parts of the teeth, toothbrush bristles can't reach the pits and grooves in the pre-molars and molars.
Pre-molars and molars are more susceptible to tooth decay when they first appear in your child's mouth. If they're not protected, your son or daughter is more likely to develop a cavity.
Sealants fill in the pits and grooves with clear resin, making it impossible for plaque to flourish in these areas. Our family dentists may recommend sealants when their permanent premolars and molars erupt. Sealants can also reduce the risk of cavities in adults, although dental insurance companies don't usually cover the cost of sealants for adults.
The sealant process is quick and easy
Before your child receives sealants from our Westminster office, their teeth will be thoroughly cleaned to remove all traces of plaque and tartar. After the cleaning, an etching solution will be applied to the teeth. The solution helps the sealants stick to the teeth. Liquid sealants are applied with a small brush, then hardened with a curing light. Your children can eat and drink immediately after receiving the sealants.
Sealants can protect your son or daughter's teeth for up to 10 years. Your dentist will check on their condition during regular checkups. If needed, new sealants can be applied to the teeth due to wear and tear.
Set up an appointment today
Protect your child's smile with sealants! Schedule an appointment with the family dentists here at Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD, by calling (410) 848-5577.
How an implant-supported denture from your dentists in Westminster, MD, can give you back your smile
If you have missing teeth or have been wearing a denture for a long period of time, you may be looking at reliable denture options that can restore the strength and beauty of your smile. In these cases, you need to discover implant-supported dentures! Here at Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD, our family dentists offer this restorative option to boost their patients' oral health—read on to learn more.
What implant-supported dentures can do for you
Although conventional dentures are an excellent tooth replacement option, they do not protect your jawbone from diminishing over time, a factor that can eventually cause the dentures to not fit well. Conversely, implant-supported dentures help maintain this bone presence. In fact, once the dental implants are placed, your body increases bone growth, as the jaw fuses with the implants, locking them in place.
At our Westminster office, our family dentists use the TeethXpress system, which places 4-to-6 implants in the jaw with abutment posts to create a stable foundation for the dentures.
Dental implants and implant-supported dentures are very successful because implants are made of titanium, a biocompatible material that your body won’t reject. In fact, they have a 99% success rate, according to the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. Besides compatibility, there are many other reasons why you should choose an implant-supported denture. Consider that an implant-supported denture offers:
- Complete stability, because thanks to implants, your denture will never move around, even with the most vigorous chewing
- More youthful facial contours, because implants stimulate bone growth, giving you fullness and volume, and reducing facial sagging
- Quick results, because TeethXpress treatment can usually be completed in one day
If you want to get your smile back, consider implant-supported dentures with TeethXpress. To find out more, call your family dentists at Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD, today by dialing (410) 848-5577.
Healthy Smiles, Healthy Families
1. Practice Good Oral Hygiene
2. Snacking & Tooth Decay
4. Check ups
Is your smile stained, crooked, or just generally lackluster? Here at Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD, your team of five dentists transforms smiles through a variety of cosmetic dentistry services—read on to learn more!
How should your smile change?
Think about it: your smile goals must match what's possible in the real world. That's where a cosmetic dentistry consultation at our Westminster office comes in. You and your dentist will discuss your oral health and any aesthetic factors such as tooth color, shape, and size, any physical defects like chips and gaps, amount of gum tissue, dental alignment, and more. Together, you'll arrive at a treatment plan compatible with your goals, budget, and realistic potential for change.
Offered cosmetic services
- Tooth reshaping or contouring: This gentle sanding of rough surfaces, chips, and pits quickly and comfortably regularizes tooth shape and size.
- Composite resin bonding: This one-visit service repairs small defects (chips, cracks, gaps) with a blend of glass and acrylic. Strong and lifelike, the composite resin is shaped, hardened, and polished for a realistic look.
- Porcelain veneers: Thin, tooth-shaped, and one-dimensional, veneers disguise flaws such as large chips, deep stains, overlapping teeth, and more. Customized and bonded to the front of teeth located in the smile zone, veneers permanently remake tooth shape, size, color, and even alignment.
- Porcelain crowns: These three-dimensional ceramic caps remake substantial portions of tooth structure above the gum line. They are tooth-shaped and bite together with teeth on the opposing arch. Crowns also support bridges, finish root canal therapy, and restore dental implants.
- Teeth whitening: Done right in the office, whitening services brighten stained teeth by several shades of color in just one visit. Your dentist uses concentrated hydrogen peroxide gel to remove deep stains caused by tobacco, coffee, tea, blueberries, and more. Additionally, whitening is safe, long-lasting, and very economical.
- Dental implants: A missing tooth affects how you look, eat, and speak. Additionally, bone health is seriously impacted by the loss of even one tooth. Dental implants change all that with the realistic look and feel of a titanium screw, metal post, and realistic crown. Furthermore, because implants reside in the alveolar ridge of the jaw, your bone density improves and is sustained indefinitely.
Your best smile
Find it through the cosmetic dentistry services available here at Carroll County Dental Associates in Westminster, MD! Dial (410) 848-5577 today for an informative cosmetic dentistry consultation with one of our dentists.
Several types of dentures are available for replacing missing teeth and restoring your smile. One exciting option is an implant supported denture. Dental implants hold the denture securely in place so there is no need for messy dental adhesives, as is necessary with some other types of dentures. A dentist can determine if you are a good candidate for implant supported dentures. Carroll County Dental Associates is your dental office for implant supported dentures in Westminster.
What are Implant Supported Dentures?
Implant supported dentures replace missing or extracted teeth like other types of dentures. What distinguishes them from other types of dentures is that they are held in place by dental implants. Dental implants are sturdy metal posts placed in the jawbone and act as anchors for dentures. The dentures are attached to the dental implants so there is no need to apply dental adhesives daily. The implants hold the dentures securely in place. Your dentist for implant supported dentures in Westminster can determine if you are a good candidate for them.
Benefits of Implant Supported Dentures
Implant supported dentures offer multiple aesthetic and functional benefits. Aesthetic benefits include filling in the gaps from missing teeth and giving you back a full smile. Implant supported dentures can also reduce the facial sagging and drooping that naturally results when teeth are missing teeth and there is not enough support for the muscles of the face. By providing additional support for facial muscles, the natural shape of the face is restored.
A major functional benefit of implant supported dentures is that normal biting and chewing functions are restored when missing teeth are replaced. Additionally, speech often improves with implant supported dentures. The artificial teeth of the implant supported denture help correct tongue placement when speaking, which can be altered by the gaps created when teeth are missing. Finally, another major benefit of implant supported dentures is that the dental implants hold them securely in place without the use of messy dental adhesives.
Implant supported dentures offer a secure option for replacing missing teeth and restoring the beauty and functionality of your smile. For implant supported dentures in Westminster, MD, schedule an appointment with one of the experienced and knowledgeable dentists at Carroll County Dental Associates by calling (410) 848-5577.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.